Okay.. Anonymous Sharing round 3

Jeff The Riffer riffer at vaxer.net
Mon Jan 16 14:18:07 EST 2006

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, Brian Henning wrote:
> As you will remember, I found a series of steps to activate anonymous browsing
> under WinXP.  All well and good.  NOW the problem is our lone Win2k
> workstation seems to refuse to supply anonymous credentials (a.k.a. blank
> username & password) in order to connect to said anonymous share (a couple
> printers).  Thing is, it seemed to work in the past, so I'm not sure what the
> difference is.

Well, what's it logged in as? By default I think it tries to use the
currently logged in user credentials. If those have changed in some way,
that might do it.

You might want to run the Microsoft baseline security tool on ALL the
systems, as it'll give you a good idea of what is enabled/disabled including
all the stupid hidden settings regarding filesharing and authentication.