looking for windows (w2k) backup solution

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Tue Jan 17 08:33:23 EST 2006

/me puts in another plug for g4u, http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/

So far I haven't had a single problem with it that couldn't be
attributed to hardware.

It even knew how to handle my hardware RAID-0 (or is it 1?  Mirror.  Can
never keep those numbers straight...) in my 2k3 box.  It did error at
the very end of that one, but I imagine that restore would still work
fine; if the image "ran out" too soon, it'd just be empty space anyway.

Obviously I haven't tested restoring on the 2k3 / RAID box, but I've had
great luck with imaging and restoring XP workstations.

It takes some time though, dependent on the size of the disk and the
speed of the processor.  I always use max compression (gzip -9, the
default), and a 40GB hd with 7-8GB of data takes a couple hours to
image, and maybe runs 40% faster on the restore.

I can't speak for the throughput if you use minimal compression; I've
never had the luxury of that much space on the storage server.

HTH,
~Brian