looking for windows (w2k) backup solution

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 08:42:47 EST 2006

On 1/17/06, Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack at wm7d.net> wrote:
> I've been assigned a w2k project :-(
>
> I need to backup my machine (with all its settings) and my
> project files in a way that I can restore and boot if (when)
> the disk dies. It doesn't have to be sophisticated - a tar
> equivelant would be fine and it only needs to run
> occassionally.
>
> eg Can I mount the disk (ro) under linux, tar it and expect
> the copy to run later? Is there anything free ($)?
>
> google seems to show only commercial programs
>
> Thanks
>
> Joe

Ghost for Linux is an iso image of a bootable linux CD which let's you
clone the disk
http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l

If you're looking for incremental/daily backups I can recommend
backuppc which I use to do daily backups of both my wife's windows
machine and my linux laptop. It can use tar, rsync, or samba, and has
a nice web interface for checking status, requesting restores or
manual backups.  It also deals with with adapting to machines who come
and go from the network.

--
Rick DeNatale

Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site