[NCSA-discuss] Backup HW/SW Recommendations for Mid-Sized Company

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Thu Jan 19 11:59:03 EST 2006

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 at 11:45am, Michelle Thomas wrote

> The company I work for is planning to replace our data backup solution
> (HW & SW) and I am working on the project.
>
> Does anyone have feedback to share on what products you use and your
> satisfaction/dissatisfaction with them?

There's a *wide* range of solutions out there -- some info as to the
ballpark in which your needs reside would be most helpful.  How much data
per night?  How long is the backup window?  What sort of data retention?
What platforms need backing up?  Are you looking for disk based backup,
tape based, both, other?

All that being said, I've been very happy with the Overland tape libraries
I have.  My older one is a LibraryPro with 2 AIT3 drives and 19 slots, and
my new one is a Neo 2000 with 2 LTO3 drives and 30 slots.  I backup ~12TB
of formatted space, primarily on Linux servers with the odd 'doze box
thrown in as well.  For software, I use amanda <http://www.amanda.org>.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering