[NCSA-discuss] wrt54gs and openwrt, rfc1918/dhcp question

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Thu Jan 19 16:28:17 EST 2006

Is it your specific intent to segment your wireless from the rest of
your network like that?

My setup at home is my WRT54G is not routing at all--the rest of my LAN
connects on one of the LAN ports of the WRT, and the WRT doesn't do any
of its own DHCP serving or any such thing (so the proper gateway, dns,
etc all come from my existing DHCP server).

If you /do/ want your wireless segmented like that, I'd suggest putting
its internal network on a separate subnet, say, 192.168.2.0/24.  I would
suspect that the reason you can't ping your real gateway is explained in
  the following rudimentary ASCII art:

          }     [      WAN port ->] -- { rest of your LAN
Wireless } --- [ WRT             ]
          }     [     LAN ports   ]
                  (no connections)

When something on your wireless, 192.168.1.52-60, asks the WRT to direct
packets to 192.168.1.1, the WRT's routing table sees "ah, my IP is
192.168.1.129, and my netmask is 255.255.255.0.  That means 192.168.1.1
is on the local side" and spits the packet out on the LAN side.  Unless
you make your wireless subnet smaller, to where 52-60 isn't in the same
subnet as 1 (such as using a 27-bit netmask, and in which case you'd
need to make sure the WRT's IP was in the same subnet as its DHCP pool,
which may or may not be automatic), I don't think the WRT is ever going
to route a packet destined for its own subnet out its WAN port.

Also, if you go the separate subnet route, all the boxes on the WAN side
of the WRT will need static routes in order to get packets back to
machines on the LAN side of the WRT (otherwise they'll send all their

So either put your WRT on a separate subnet, or plug the rest of your
LAN into the LAN side of the WRT and turn off its DHCP and router.

I use MAC filtering plus WPA-TKIP to keep my wireless net secure.

Cheers,
~Brian