[NCSA-discuss] wrt54gs and openwrt, rfc1918/dhcp question

Steven Champeon schampeo at hesketh.com
Thu Jan 19 15:23:40 EST 2006

on Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 02:07:11PM -0500, John Broome wrote:
> On 1/19/06, Steven Champeon <schampeo at hesketh.com> wrote:
> > Seems, however, that the s/w that comes with the WRT54GS expects to hand
> > out 192.168.1.x addresses - and there's no way to change it. Also, it
> > doesn't seem to want me to treat its IP as anything but 192.168.1.1.
> > Well, I've already got one of those, thanks. And I'd like to be able to
> > say "hey, WRT, be 192.,168.1.129, and hand out IPs from 130 to 140" or
> > some such, and have it route traffic over to 192.168.1.1, my Linux
> > firewall, and on the internal network.
>
> According to my neighbors WRT54G that's unsecured you can change the
> Router IP to be whatever you want, then change the starting IP address
> and max number of DHCP users that you want.
>
> All on the first page of linksys admin interface.

OK, fair enough. You *can* change the "local" IP (I was relying on old
memories and got that part wrong). IIRC (I last screwed around with this
late last week) I was confused because /out of the box/ the WRT defaults
to 192.168.1.1 and I had to set up an isolated direct ethernet config to
talk to the box, where my laptop was .2, until I could change the "local"
IP on the WRT to something else that wouldn't conflict with my existing
network setup. So, mea culpa. It *doesn't* let me change the network from
which I can configure it to hand out DHCP addresses, so it's 192.168.1.x
or nothing, AFAICT.

Mine is currently configured thusly (in "Static IP" mode):

"Internet" IP: 192.168.1.128/24, gateway 192.168.1.1
"Local" IP: 192.168.1.129/24

and it's handing out DHCP IPs from 192.168.1.52-60.

When I connect my laptop to it via ethernet, with fixed IP, I can config
the box via the HTTP UI.

When I connect my laptop with wifi to the box, I get an IP via DHCP, but
it doesn't route traffic via the gateway I expect it to use, and in fact
tells me that the host is down. Basically, I get an IP but can't even
ping the WRT, either interface, or my firewall, or any other host on my
internal network. I've tried .129 as the gateway (which is what it hands
out via DHCP), I've tried .1 as the gateway, with no luck.

Perhaps I need to tweak another knob on another page? Say, letting it
know it should act as a gateway instead of a router?

I do have v4.0 of the GS. So perhaps I'll look into sveasoft or dd-wrt.

Thanks,

antispam news, solutions for sendmail, exim, postfix: http://enemieslist.com/