[NCSA-discuss] wrt54gs and openwrt, rfc1918/dhcp question

Derek Featherston derek.featherston at cirruspharm.com
Thu Jan 19 17:46:33 EST 2006

|At work, it's more like:
|
|                 +-------+  /
|fract T1>--------<eth1   | /  192.168.1.0/24 land
|                 |  fw   |/
|                 |   eth0>---[ switch ]
|                 +-------+     |
|   public Inet land   /   +----------------------------+
|                     /      |||           |          |
|    5c4ry           /   (lan hosts)   (airport)  (airport)
|   h4x0rs          /                      z          z
|                  /                    laptop      laptop
|
|The Airports each have fixed IPs in 192.168.1/24, and do DHCP from their
|own fixed range of IPs (so I can hardcode their rDNS). It Just Works.
|
|Now, I want to add this WRT in exactly the same way as I have the
|airports, but for whatever reason it's not behaving. I was just trying
|to figure out if it was a limitation of the WRT, the WRT firmware, a
|configuration toggle I haven't found yet, or what.
|
|> If you /do/ want your wireless segmented like that, I'd suggest putting
|> its internal network on a separate subnet, say, 192.168.2.0/24.
|
|Well, I would, but the WRT DHCP range is hard-coded to 192.168.1.x. I'm
|hoping that sveasoft/openwrt/dd-wrt will let me override that, or it's
|smart enough to act as an access point within a single /24 instead of as
|a router expecting different networks on LAN and WAN sides.

I can see no reason to run DHCP on yet another box if you already have two
on the subnet, so my first suggestion, unless I'm missing something, is to
just turn it off.

However, if you insist, I believe these are the steps you should take:

1. Change the IP address of the router's LAN Ethernet port (Local IP Address
in Linksys speak) to 192.168.1.x.
2. Apply the change and return to the configuration screen
3. Your DHCP should now be "hard coded" to the 192.168.1.x subnet.

Derek