[NCSA-discuss] wrt54gs and openwrt, rfc1918/dhcp question

Steven Champeon schampeo at hesketh.com
Thu Jan 19 18:16:21 EST 2006

on Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 05:46:33PM -0500, Derek Featherston wrote:
> I can see no reason to run DHCP on yet another box if you already have two
> on the subnet, so my first suggestion, unless I'm missing something, is to
> just turn it off.

FWIW, I did this (disabled DHCP) and assigned the LAN port 192.168.2.1
and the WAN port to 192.168.1.192 and with hardcoded client addresses in
192.168.2.x I can now reach the local net and route packets out through
the firewall, etc. DHCP didn't change to 192.168.2.x when I assigned the
new LAN IP, so perhaps it doesn't work that way.

<shrug>

Thanks for the help. I'll continue to poke at it with sharp sticks and
look into dd-wrt, et al., but for the moment this seems to have given me
a workable solution that Just Works.

Steve

antispam news, solutions for sendmail, exim, postfix: http://enemieslist.com/