[NCSA-discuss] number for nobody,nogroup

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Oct 10 11:22:15 EDT 2006

My machines at home have different nobody,nogroup numbers.
I have

99,99
65534,65534 (2^16-2)
-2,-2 (which winds up being 2^32-2)

Previously I've only ever used 2^16-2.

Google seems to think that all of them are OK.

The directories owned by nobody,nogroup are smb exported to
windows machines. There is the minor nuisance of synching
between the smb servers, when updates files appear with the
wrong ownership numbers.

I've lost the ability to write to these smb exported
directories from with windows machines (although how long
ago I don't know - I mainly read from the directories) and
am wondering what number windows is expecting for the
ownership of the smb exported directories.

Presumably samba can export the files with any ownership it
likes, however I'm not looking forward to spelunking the
samba config file manual again.

Thanks
Joe