[NCSA-discuss] windows cleanup following gratuitous download

Rob McCauley rob.mccauley at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 19:14:33 EDT 2006

I have to disagree.  IMO, this is what NCSA is all about.  We're
always helping people (our members) who aren't asking for help, but
see a benefit to making use of it when it's offered.      Every month
we have a room full of people who didn't ask for a presentation, but
came to learn from it anyway.  Most demand is passive.  If you wait
for someone to ask you to create something, you'll wait forever.  Find
something people need but don't know it yet, though, and life gets
interesting.  I was reading an article in Fortune or Money or some
such this morning about allegedly smart people getting suckered by
scams.  A few months ago I got an email apparently from some company I
have an account with alerting me to a problem, and I wondered briefly
if it was real, even though I've seen enough phish to fill a lake.  It
wasn't, though it looked exactly right, and I could figure that out by
myself, but I understand now how people like my parents who are less
technically inclined than I am, or other relatives who are even less
so, could fall for it.  Something like this could benefit a lot of
people.  Maybe schools aren't the place for this.  How about
libraries?  Book stores?  B&N has book clubs and kids' events.  How
about one of the local book shops like the Regulator on 9th st?

What kind of support would you want to move forward with something
like this, Liyun?  If it's just a yes vote, you've got mine, as long
as I have one to give (November's coming, ya know...).  Maybe Joe's
right and you'll find that nobody's interested, but I'm sure we won't
find any takers if we don't try.  Maybe free is the wrong price (if
they're giving it away, it must not be worth much...), though charging
is probably well beyond the scope of what NC*SA can do.

To be honest, I do think promoting this to prospective....clients?
would be the more challenging aspect.  Developing the content would
probably not be difficult.  If this were to succeed, it would also do
a nice job of promoting NC*SA as well.  I really see no down side to
this other than the work involved, and if there are people who want to
take it on, why not proceed?

Rob