[NCSA-discuss] windows/explore/samba - why so slow?

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Wed Sep 6 18:32:29 EDT 2006

On Tue, 5 Sep 2006, Steven Champeon wrote:

> http://www.gatago.com/linux/samba/14535950.html
>
> Do you see it from both Explorer and "My Network Places"? Or just the
> latter?

I have two samba servers running the same samba (3.0.3)
compiled and installed at the same time in two different
locations, but designed to be as similar as possible
(directories mounted etc), so that there would in effect be
only one system to maintain

same winxp laptop

on one system the directories from the samba server are
listed quickly. This is a dual 200MHz machine.

on the other, the top level of directories are served fast,
but with each level you go down, they're listed slower, till
about 3 levels down, you don't get a listing. This is with
both Explorer and Network places. On the samba server, smbd
is running 100% CPU. This is a single CPU 133MHz machine.
Even though it has only 1/3 the MHz of the other machine, I
can't see that you'd need 100% CPU for minutes at a time
corresponding to many 10s of Mbytes of file transfer, just
to list a directory.

:-(

The server that works fine doesn't have any of the
suggestions posted here.

This needs some thinking.

thanks
Joe