[NCSA-discuss] editors in windows, Mac

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sun Feb 3 20:58:01 EST 2008

On Sun, 3 Feb 2008, A. Michael Salim wrote:

> all user created content should normally be stored under
> "My Documents" as a Windows convention (which is the same
> as "C:\Documents and Settings\UserName" as you correctly
> noted).

I knew both directories existed but didn't realise they were
the same :-)

I've just found, to my surprise, that windows doesn't
need/use the shebang convention (at least for python). You
can just run

> hello_world.py

(
where hello_world.py is

print "hello world!"
)

Is this some brilliant advance by M$ or is there some
security reason unix doesn't allow the same thing (ignoring
the fact that ./ is in the PATH for windows)

Joe