[NCSA-discuss] Host naming convention

Boone_Dave at emc.com Boone_Dave at emc.com
Tue Jun 10 11:30:25 EDT 2008

Hi Steve, et al,

This is a matter of opinion, and to some extent diplomacy.  Here is my opinion, FWIW.

A) hostnames and domain names are designed to give human meaning to otherwise meaningless info (IP addresses).  To that regard, I believe it makes sense to add some type of meaningful info to the hostname, even if it's just to help you remember which system is which.  "I'm working on 'mickey-mouse' and Joe is in charge of 'pluto'."  So, in that regard, I'm in favor of putting useful info in the hostname.

B) I'm not fond of super-long hostnames.  If there's too much info crammed in it, I'd rather use the IP addresses.

C) Are the hostnames to be used by IT staff only, or would the names be distributed to end users?  For end users, I would recommend using hostnames that are memorable and offer insight into its purpose.  For example, 'payroll.domain.com' and 'announce.domain.com' might be more useful names than 'lnx-ora01-dell1850-vm04.domain.com'.

D) Who will you alienate with your decision?  The boss or the summer intern?  :-)

Just my 2¢.

Thanks,
Dave