[NCSA-discuss] lightning protection on ethernet

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sun May 18 08:50:37 EDT 2008

On Sun, 18 May 2008, Simon Karpen wrote:

> How about some spare cables (since lightening that could fry WAPs could
> also damage cables)

erk, I hadn't considered replacing cables in the ceiling,
but I guess I'd better be prepared for it.

> and some cold spare WAPs pre-configured for your
> network?

yes, I'll have a couple of those on hand, but I should set
up a few in boxes, ready to ship out.

> That way they'd be fast and easy to switch out, and you'd
> also have spares in case of the normal WAP failures (since
> consumer grade WAPs are basically disposable anyway)

the early Linksys (WAP11s) were terrible, but the WRT54?s
I'm using now have been running for a year without any
unplannned downtime, so I'm quite happy with them. Other
than being taken out with lighthing, I'm expecting them to
last as long as any other electronic device with no
moving/spinning parts.

Thanks
Joe