[NCSA-discuss] RAID recommendations?

John W. Sopko Jr. sopko at cs.unc.edu
Fri Dec 17 14:12:29 EST 2010

I like Dell servers for direct attached storage. I just ordered
a Dell R510 which holds 8 hot swap drives. You can get a wide
range of disk choices from 15k rpm 600GB SAS to 2TB 7.2K rpm sata
and anywhere in between. I have used Dell hardware raid controllers
for 10+ years and never had a problem. We run Red Hat and
they support that distro well. They have a Dell yum repo
that you can get their Open Mange tools to monitor and configure
the hardware including the raid. I would suggest the latest
Dell PERC H700 controller (Power Edge Raid Controller).

--
John W. Sopko Jr.               University of North Carolina
email: sopko AT cs.unc.edu      Computer Science Dept., CB 3175