[NCSA-discuss] RAID recommendations?

Simon Karpen simon at karpens.org
Fri Dec 17 18:42:31 EST 2010

On 12/17/2010 5:59 PM, Steve Wolfe wrote:
> Simon's suggestion looks interesting - and then maybe run sotware raid
> and maybe LVM.
> don't know if it will work w/ RAID - they might have something.
Works fine with any RAID card with the right connector (depends on exact
model, mostly standard SFF-8088 x4 SAS). They mostly sell 3ware and LSI,
but as far as the RAID card is concerned it's just a bunch of disks on a
backplane. (no vendor lock, etc)
> esp if the vendor is trustworthy and will give some suggestions.
> http://www.siliconmechanics.com/c1153/storform-jbods.ph
I've found the vendor very trustworthy and easy to work with, and to
generally have good ideas (it helps that they do a lot of HPC cluster
work)... e-mail me off-list if you want contact info for a good rep.

--Simon

Simon Karpen                                      simon at karpens.org
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, it is not
necessarily a good idea.
                          -- Ross Callon, RFC1925