[NCSA-discuss] RAID recommendations?

Kevin Wilcox kevin at tux.appstate.edu
Fri Dec 17 22:37:09 EST 2010

On 17 December 2010 17:59, Steve Wolfe <swolfe100 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Simon's suggestion looks interesting - and then maybe run sotware raid
> and maybe LVM.

<snip>

> A few years ago we ran some software raid
> and although not truly ideal .. not too bad.

Given what we've heard about the scope of the project, software RAID
sounds like a great solution.

I'm really surprised that, on a SysAdmin list, nobody has suggested a
machine running either

a) FreeBSD + ZFS or

b) Solaris + ZFS

given that ZFS handles both the filesystem component and the RAID
component with error checking, snapshots, etc., and is, generally
speaking, a lot more "user friendly" in a bad situation (failing or
degraded disks) than LVM.

kmw