[NCSA-discuss] RAID recommendations?

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Sat Dec 18 11:14:37 EST 2010

Yeah, just catching up on email, I was going to suggest ZFS.   With Solaris 11 Express just released.  You get Dedupe on ZFS as well.  Dedupe would be a nice feature given what it seems you are trying to achieve.   We use Freebsd almost exclusively at work, and while some of the ZFS features lag behind slightly on Freebsd, it's still rock solid.   Being able to ZFS Send a file system is a really nice feature you get for free.  So if you wanted to migrate data, it's easy peasy with ZFS Send.   Snapshots are nice too!    To speed things up, you should be able to use SSD's for read or write cache.  This is what our SunStore commercial NAS box does.  We've been really happy with the SunStore appliances, obviously they are inline cost wise with a EMC or a NetApp.

Matt P.