[NCSA-discuss] windows firewall question

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Wed Dec 14 22:08:53 EST 2011

A friend has a shop that's not particularly busy and the new
person at the counter seems to have used the PoS machine
(WinXP) to surf the internet and download viruses while
waiting for customers to buy something. The viruses stop the
PoS machine from doing its PoS work which is distressing to
my friend. Firing the clerk isn't an option apparently.

The WinXP machine is connected via a DSL box to the
internet. The machine only has to connect to the sites of a
few (say 10) vendors to handle ordering. A possible solution
would be to setup a firewall that only allowed access to the
vendor sites, with new sites being added on in a gui. I'd
expected ZoneAlarm could do this, but on checking with their
technical people (via a chat room), I found that ZoneAlarm
doesn't do this.

Any windows firewalls that work the way I want?

Any other ideas?

Thanks Joe