[NCSA-discuss] SCO nfs

Brad Oaks bradoaks at gmail.com
Fri May 4 21:44:40 EDT 2012

I upgraded a SCO system similar to what you're talking about sometime
in the middle to late 1990's in Brevard, NC, but I don't remember the
version numbers -- we were going from quite ancient to the then-recent
version.  It was serving an accounting application too.  I had install
media for the newer version of the OS, but the real fun was in picking
out the device driver files from the old box and moving them to the
new box.  We didn't know where the install media for the device
drivers were by then.

That company (L & B Computers) wrote in Business BASIC, but later
merged with another municipal accounting software services firm named
Logics, LLC.  http://www.logicssolutions.com/  Logics's product was
written in Micro COBOL at the time.  They were retooling into desktop
applications about the time I left over a dozen years ago.  I still
have a fondness for the VT100 interface of those old systems.

I wonder if some of their customers are still running the old servers
from back then.  I'm happy to ask them if you'd like me to.

It sounds like you have a network interface on your machine if you can
get it online, but if you didn't you could see if that version of SCO
has SLIP (Serial Line Internet Protocol).  If it did, you could
transfer files over a serial line to a modern Linux machine then reach
out to wherever you want from the modern box.

I hate powering off a machine that old where the Hard Drive is still
working.  But I also wonder if you couldn't boot it on a CloneZilla CD
and at least grab an image of the whole disk.  But if you're willing
to power off the machine, I'd be tempted to connect the HD to another
computer (gingerly) to make a full backup.

Best of luck to you and to them.  It's nice to remember some of where
we've been.  It's spooky to realize some are still there, but it works
for them (until it doesn't). :)