[NCSA-discuss] SCO nfs

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sat May 5 10:08:21 EDT 2012

On Fri, 4 May 2012, Brad Oaks wrote:

> I still have a fondness for the VT100 interface of those
> old systems.

:-)

I enjoyed DOS 3.3 for quite a few years too.

> I wonder if some of their customers are still running the
> old servers from back then.  I'm happy to ask them if
> you'd like me to.

thanks. Not just yet. I'm trying to figure out what we have
and where we could go and a path to do it. Too many unknowns
to ask sensible questions yet.

> It sounds like you have a network interface on your machine

yes. It's a standard IDE Intel mobo from about 10yrs ago.

> if you can get it online, but if you didn't you could see
> if that version of SCO has SLIP (Serial Line Internet
> Protocol).  If it did, you could transfer files over a
> serial line to a modern Linux machine then reach out to
> wherever you want from the modern box.

we don't need the files. The machine still works fine and we
can get to them throught SCO.

> I hate powering off a machine that old where the Hard
> Drive is still working.  But I also wonder if you couldn't
> boot it on a CloneZilla CD and at least grab an image of
> the whole disk.  But if you're willing to power off the
> machine, I'd be tempted to connect the HD to another
> computer (gingerly) to make a full backup.

I can boot with linux cd and do a dd on the disk.

> Best of luck to you and to them.  It's nice to remember
> some of where we've been.  It's spooky to realize some are
> still there, but it works for them (until it doesn't). :)

the business user just wants to process their data.
Meanwhile the manufacturers are changing the disk interface
under them etc and telling the business people how much
better their new machine is. All the business person knows
is that they have to spend 15k$ to get the new version of
the OS to read SATA, do whatever porting may be necessary
for their app, before they can get back to doing exactly
what they were doing before.

Joe