[NCSA-discuss] SCO nfs

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue May 8 11:21:44 EDT 2012

On Tue, 8 May 2012, Craig Cook wrote:

> If the requirement is backing up data why don't you review
> the tape setup?

my initial reasoning was that tapes are expensive and disks
are cheap and I'd get a NAS. However with their legacy
setup, they're committed to forking out money just to keep
running, so the thinking that goes with creating a new
machine doesn't apply. A bigger tape drive would handle it
and would allow them to keep doing what they're well
practiced at doing.

> If an extra requirement is ensuring the server remains
> running, start looking for spare hardware.

yes, it's on my list.

> You can get SATA->IDE adapters.

didn't know about that.

> If you can't find IDE disks that will work, install a SATA
> and see what happens.

SCO 5.0.4 doesn't have SATA drivers.

> You may have fun if the BIOS does not recognise disks over
> a certain size.

hadn't thought about this. I expect the mobo is recent
enough that it will take a 320G drive, but I haven't
checked, and I should.

> Installing in a VM is an option, but you will also have
> fun with your serial card issues.

I take it you know about the SCO multiport serial card and
VMs?

Joe