[NCSA-discuss] SCO nfs

Craig Cook cncook001 at yahoo.com
Tue May 8 11:49:49 EDT 2012

>> If the requirement is backing up data why don't you review the tape setup?

>my initial reasoning was that tapes are expensive and disks are cheap and I'd get a NAS. However with their legacy setup, they're committed to forking out money just to keep running, so the thinking that goes with creating a new machine doesn't apply. A bigger tape drive would handle it and would allow them to keep doing what they're well practiced at doing.

Oh, so it sounds like as you have started digging, the issue is worse than you expected.

>> If you can't find IDE disks that will work, install a SATA and see what happens.

>SCO 5.0.4 doesn't have SATA drivers.

With the IDE adaptor SCO would not need to know about SATA.

>> Installing in a VM is an option, but you will also have fun with your serial card issues.

>I take it you know about the SCO multiport serial card and VMs?

I administer VM's.  I've used multiport serial cards as part of a multi server console solution, did not set it up myself though (and not within a VM env).

If you use VMware you would have to install the serial card in the ESX host.  Then present the serial interface to the VM.  I've done that before for modem access. (long time ago though)

VMware can also present a virtual IDE disk to the VM.

You could actually test this setup using ESXi (free).

Craig