[NCSA-discuss] SCO nfs

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue May 8 14:29:51 EDT 2012

On Tue, 8 May 2012, Craig Cook wrote:

> Something else you could look at is reducing the data the
> currently have.  Can they purge old accounting data to
> free up space?

They've had the same sized disk (40G) for about 10yrs and
apparently the disk space used hasn't increased very much. I
assume the database/ledger size was set when the app was
initialised and the amount of storage hasn't changed since
then. Possibly the only increase in storage has come from
adding the occasional new ledger.

I'm loathe to go in and suggest changes to his business
practices. He's been running the business for 40yrs and
doesn't need business work flow advice from a computer
consultant whose only exposure to the business was a 2hr
discussion to get a bigger disk. Maybe after I get to know
the business better and he gets some confidence in my level
of common sense he'll be interested in suggestions like
this. At the moment I'm staying in my area of expertise and
treading lightly elsewhere.

> Lots of people keep data around "just in case we need
> it".  Run whatever reports you need, print them, put them
> in a file cabinet, purge old data.  No hardware changes
> required.

Presumably I'll get to find out all this stuff eventually,
but I have no idea how they do things right now.

Joe