[NCSA-discuss] SCO nfs

Brad Oaks bradoaks at gmail.com
Tue May 8 22:38:26 EDT 2012

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 12:37 PM, Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack at wm7d.net> wrote:

>>> I take it you know about the SCO multiport serial card and VMs?
>>
>> I administer VM's.  I've used multiport serial cards as part of a multi
>> server console solution, did not set it up myself though (and not within a
>> VM env).
>>
>> If you use VMware you would have to install the serial card in the ESX
>> host.  Then present the serial interface to the VM.  I've done that before
>> for modem access. (long time ago though)
>
> thanks for the heads up.

This tidbit is promising.  In October 2011, Michael Cronenworth person said:
"I have SCO running under VirtualBox and I have passed it serial ports
from a PCI-Express card without a problem. SCO sees it as a dummy serial
card."
( http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2011-October/406632.html )

So if Linux can support the existing card, you're likely in business.
But if not, there is at least hope of a path forward with new
hardware.  If it were me, I would be tempted to build a new system
with a new card so that you can test it without disrupting the
production system.

I couldn't quickly find an answer to the question "how many serial
ports can VirtualBox support".  But if it is limited, there is also
the potential that the card could be exposed to SCO through the PCI
passthrough feature of VirtualBox.
http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch09.html#pcipassthrough

Good luck Joe.  It sounds like you have an interesting puzzle, and a
reasonable client.