[TriLUG] Re: 2.4.x kernel + vmware

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Tue Sep 4 21:49:35 EDT 2001

> Has anybody got this running?
>
> When I install ( or configure actually), it says it cannot
> compile -- macros PAGE_OFFSET and PAGE_SIZE
> are not found.
>
> I'm installing on redhat 7.1 (seawolf) with a 2.4.8 kernel.
>
> thanks
>   b\375

Well, I spoke too soon.  I tried installing it on Mandrake 8.1
beta 1 (2.4.8 kernel) and it failed for me.  Instead, however,
I noticed that VMWare had just released VMWare 3.0 beta 1, so
I downloaded that and tried it out.  It had to build modules,
but they worked perfectly (except for a few warnings about including
the kernel version of malloc.h).  I setup my dual boot Win2K
partition I had on my laptop to work under VMWare and it worked
like a charm.

Main problems:
   This being a beta, it's setup in Debug Mode which causes lots
   of messages to be printed to the console and makes things slower
   than normal (but still usable).

   I really nead more memory (okay, so this is not a VMWare problem :-)
   (Anyone know how much a 128MB or 256MB SO-DIMM is running?)

Nice new features
   It hasn't been implemented yet, but 3.0 will include support for DVD
   drives.
   Finally USB support! :-)

I can't wait to find out what the upgrade price from 2.0 to 3.0 is...

Tanner Lovelace
--
Tanner Lovelace | lovelace at wayfarer.org | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/