[TriLUG] Win4Lin Support for New Kernels (> 2.4.5)

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 24 09:22:43 EDT 2001

Hi Folks,

After that last meeting (thanks Kevin) I was curious to find out if
Win4Lin was really at a standstill with Kernel 2.4.5.

I sent mail to one of the kernel developers, and here's the upshot. They
have almost no advertising money right now so they aren't making it very
obvious, but there *is* support for newer kernels.  It's sort of buried
in the tech support section of their web pages, or at least it was as of
early last week.

The details are explained here:

http://trelos.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/trelos.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_refno=010828-000022

The upshot is that there is an RPM that you have to download and some
patches to apply.  The document lists kernels up to 2.4.9, but I haven't
looked at the site to see how high the patches actually go.

I'm sure people will say that this is a terrible way to get the word
out, and the developer I asked agreed, but there's little they can do
until they get more funding; they're just eking it out right now.

I like Win4Lin enough that I was considering making my system
triple-boot with a 2.4.5 kernel to run Win4Lin.  Fortunately I won't
need to now.

Thanks,

Scott Chilcote / scottchilcote at earthlink.net