[TriLUG] Anyone interested in job opportunities?

Rev. Christian J Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Sat Oct 6 14:41:02 EDT 2001

Hi Chuck,
> Recently, on the list, I have heard a lot of people talking about how bad
> the job market is here in the RTP area. I am wondering how many of the LUG
> membership are currently looking for work or would like to make a change?

Yes, I've been out for nearly 4 months now.  Very interested in getting back
to work.  I'm seeing some increased signs of life in the market, and my
phone was actually ringing quite a bit over the last couple of weeks.
Without getting into too much detail, I'm finding a lot of managers are
enthusiastic about hiring me but fall short on their budget and seem to be
interviewing long before they have funding approved.

> Here is a list of
> what skills I need... (no single person must be able to do all of this...
> this will be a team!):

I can help you on:

> Cisco Network Equipment and Software
>    - PIX Firewall/VPN
Not a PIX guru but in my last job I did handle some of the work on the PIX
520 as well as the VPN 3000.
>    - LocalDirector Server Load Balancers
Not Local Director but at IBM I picked up a lot of experience with load
balancing using their competetive product.

> Operating Systems
>    - Sun Solaris 2.7+
>    - Red Hat Linux 7.1

Yep.

>    - AIX (IBM Unix)

Minimal experience on this.

>    - Windows Server (NT/2000)

Strong here.

>    - IOS (Cisco)

Beginner.

> Applications
>   - DNS
>   - SendMail
>   - SSH

Yep.

>   - Apache HTTP

Beginner.

>   - Netscape Proxy

Don't have Netscape Proxy experience but I do have Squid & Microsoft's proxy
under my belt.

>   - iPlanet (Netscape) LDAP

No, but I've been very eager to learn this particular product.

>   - Microsoft IIS

Intermediate.

>   - Microsoft Exchange

Got it (up to 5.5).

> Network Protocols/Topology
>   - 10/100/1000 Switched/Shared Ethernet
>   - Token Ring

Yep.

Been a few years since I've had to touch Token Ring but I used to handle a
few thousand hosts on this topology in the mid 90's.

When you're ready to get started, let me know and I'll send on my resume.

Reverend Christian J Hedemark II
Hillsborough, NC
http://yonderway.com
"Those who are willing to sacrifice essential liberties for a little order,
will lose both and deserve neither." - Benjamin Franklin