[TriLUG] Fastest file system?

Paul D. Boyle boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Thu Oct 25 14:14:49 EDT 2001

Fred Stutzman wrote:
> The ReiserFS is excellent for lots of small i/o.  However, it's problems
> with 2.4.7 kernels make me hesitant to reccomend it.  I've moved to ext3
> for the time being.

I have been doing a little research on the web about Linux filesystem
performance.  I have read that of the journaling filesystems that ReiserFS
is the fastest, but I have also read that that's only true if the disk
is not partitioned.  The reason given is that the elevator algorithm
used read/writes blocks in logical order rather than physical order.
If there is someone who knows a bit more about this, I would appreciate
their views.

So far in this discussion no one has recommended the use of XFS or JFS,
is there some technical reason for this?

Paul

Paul D. Boyle			    |	boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Director, X-ray Structural Facility |	phone: (919) 515-7362
Department of Chemistry - Box 8204  |	FAX:   (919) 515-5079
North Carolina State University     |
Raleigh, NC, 27695-8204
http://laue.chem.ncsu.edu/web/xray.welcome.html