[TriLUG] just starting out, help

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Sat Oct 27 04:31:23 EDT 2001

On Saturday 27 October 2001 10:07 pm, you wrote:
> >have w98 on disk one, plan to burn this disk soon, just say no to bill.
> >have mandrake 8.1 on disk two, good stuff.  still using w98 to access the
> >internet.  using linux, how do i connect, ie tell modem COM 1, to dial an
> >isp.  currently using mindspring. i know phone # to isp, and their DNS
> > ips. they are not helpful at all. they only support x9- and macs.  is
> > there a linux friendly isp, that i should switch too?
>
> Well, first off ... is your modem a real modem or a WinModem? If the
> latter, all the brains are in the Windows driver, and no ISP,
> Linux-friendly or otherwise, will be able to help you.

Not quite true.  linmodems.org may be able to resurrect that Winmodem under
Linux.  Finding the right stuff can be a bit daunting, but I recently got the
Lucent Winmodem on an IBM T23 laptop working.  It took me more than an hour
to find the right drivers, but it only took me about 10 minute to configure
it after that.

---Tom