[TriLUG] ___ at mindspring.com____

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Sat Oct 27 16:29:32 EDT 2001

Clearly getting modems to work with Linux is a TRILUG program waiting to
happen!! I had a peculiar thing happen when trying to get my modem to work.
First of all, I installed Mandrake 7.2 which recognized my ISA modem (with
jumpers set manually not plug & play).  I took the Mindspring info necessary
to set up my account from Windows(DNS stuff, dial in number, etc.) and it
worked!! But then I decided to upgrade to Mandrake 8.0, which strangely did
NOT recognize the same modem and PC setup. I still haven't got it to work,
so I'm having to use MS crap for email. To make matters worse, in the
meantime I've had to put a new motherboard in my computer which does NOT
have an ISA slot (only PCI's), so I couldn't use my old ISA modem. I have a
new PCI modem which says on the box that it does work with LINUX. There is
some sort of file necessary, apparently, but it has an .EXE extension??? Now
I've never seen an extension on any driver file nor have I seen an exe
extention on a Linux file. My question is simple, should I just upgrade to
Mandrake 8.1???