[TriLUG] Audio (CD Ripping) docs?

Chris Merrill cmerrill at nc.rr.com
Sat Nov 3 21:03:27 EST 2001

Tom Bryan said:
> but I don't even know the steps.  I've heard of MP3, but I'm not
> sure why I'd want MP3 instead of (for example) the .wav file that

The reason that MP3 format has become popular is that for most people,
the sound quality vs. file size tradeoff is reasonable.  A typical song
that is 50M in wav format will be ~5M in MP3 format.

Brent Fox said:
> MP3 files are comparable in quality to the .wav files, except that they are
> smaller in size.

I must disagree...MP3 files have poor sound quality compared to .wav
files.  But since most people listen to MP3s over computer speakers,
which generally have even worse sound quality, they don't notice.

Chris Merrill
cmerrill at nc.rr.com