[TriLUG] Openssh update failure

Lisa Lorenzin lorenzin at 1000plus.com
Fri Dec 14 14:23:09 EST 2001

> I'm actually doing a run through to see what it needs and finding
> that I have a dependency problem. I can't find what rpm I'm missing.
> How do I find out where to get these libcrypto.so.* files ??

rpmfind is your friend. :)  if you go to www.rpmfind.net and type the name
of a library or file into the search, it will return a list of which rpms
contain that library or file.  libcrypto.so.1 is in openssl-0.9.6-3 and
later.

i have some thoughts on the rest of this, having btdt, but i'm not
anything like an expert, so you might want to wait until jon carnes weighs
in before you act on any of my suggestions. :)

> [root at dogbert updates]# rpm -Fvh --test openssh*
> error: failed dependencies:
>         libcrypto.so.1   is needed by openssh-2.9p2-11.7
>         libcrypto.so.1   is needed by openssh-clients-2.9p2-11.7
>         libcrypto.so.1   is needed by openssh-server-2.9p2-11.7
>         libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2.4)   is needed by
> openssh-server-2.9p2-11.7

looks like this is telling you that the new version of openssh you're
trying to install wants a newer version of openssl than you currently have
(which you probably already know) and a newer version of glibc than you
currently have (which is more complicated). what distro/version are you
trying to install this onto?

> [root at dogbert updates]# rpm -Fvh --test openssl*
> error: failed dependencies:
>         libcrypto.so.0 is needed by cyrus-sasl-1.5.24-11
>         libcrypto.so.0 is needed by python-1.5.2-27
>         libcrypto.so.0 is needed by imap-2000-3
>         libcrypto.so.0 is needed by pine-4.30-2
>         libcrypto.so.0 is needed by samba-2.0.7-21ssl
>         libcrypto.so.0 is needed by samba-client-2.0.7-21ssl
>         libcrypto.so.0 is needed by samba-common-2.0.7-21ssl
>         libcrypto.so.0 is needed by openssh-2.1.1p4-1
>         libcrypto.so.0 is needed by openssh-clients-2.1.1p4-1
>         libcrypto.so.0 is needed by openssh-server-2.1.1p4-1
>         libcrypto.so.0 is needed by stunnel-3.8p4-1
>         libcrypto.so.0 is needed by mod_ssl-2.6.6-25
>         libssl.so.0 is needed by python-1.5.2-27
>         libssl.so.0 is needed by imap-2000-3
>         libssl.so.0 is needed by pine-4.30-2
>         libssl.so.0 is needed by samba-2.0.7-21ssl
>         libssl.so.0 is needed by samba-client-2.0.7-21ssl
>         libssl.so.0 is needed by samba-common-2.0.7-21ssl
>         libssl.so.0 is needed by stunnel-3.8p4-1
>         libssl.so.0 is needed by mod_ssl-2.6.6-25

looks like this is telling you something different - that if you upgrade
openssl, it will break that list of packages, all of which are dependent
on an older version of openssl.  (in other words, if those require
libcrypto.so.0, and the new version of openssl only has libcrypto.so.1,
then you'll have to upgrade all of those packages if you install the new
version of openssl.).

since you're not going to get the new openssh running with your current
version of glibc, imho your best bet is to update your version of your
distro.  my understanding (which could be wrong, but i tend to err on the
side of caution for this one) is that upgrading glibc by itself is a
really fast way to trash your system unless you know exactly what you're
doing, since practically everything depends on it.

hope this helps.  let me know if you have any further questions - i'm
running openssh-2.9p2-12, which i upgraded from the 2.9p2-(something
smaller than 12) that came with rh7.2.  if you have the latest version of
everything else, the upgrade is actually seamless. *wry grin*

							lisa

--
lisa lorenzin   |   lorenzin at 1000plus.com   |   http://www.1000plus.com/lisa/
# find / -user your -name base -print0 | xargs -0 chown us