[TriLUG] internal cable modem with linux and road runner?

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Thu Dec 20 06:19:19 EST 2001

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 10:37:39PM -0500, Donald Ball spoke thusly:
> why do you need an internal cable modem to do that? just run the ethernet
> cord from the cable bridge (the correct term, right?) to your computer,
> same logical difference to the computer.

I thinkt hat depends on the cable bridge. if they work like my ISDN,
then you end up with this :

Cable -> Bridge -> NAT -> computer -> MASQ -> LAN

In which case it's not really a bridge but a router. This can make
life difficult with some protocols (in my case, IPSEC and CIPE) that
rely on exact point-to-point connections. (and which actually *ASK*
the IF for it's IP address, so it can talk to the other side)

Now, if the bridge acts as a true bridge :

Cale -> Bridge -> computer -> MASQ -> LAN

Then no, there's really nothing to be gained by getting an internal
cable modem.

Oh, and if anyone ahs a Linux compatible Internal ISDN Modem, please
give me a yell. While the router is nice, I'd like to use CIPE and a
few other thigns that don't like a double MASQ/NAT layer as shown in
the first example.

--      Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney      --
--  New email : alchemist at darkcanvas.com  --
--  http://www.darkcanvas.com/~alchemist  --
--  ICQ: 4855069            AIM: ksonney  --

"If you'll read the subtext for many of those old strips, you'll find
the heart of an old-fashioned Libertarian. And I'd be a Libertarian,
if they weren't all a bunch of tax-dodging professional whiners."
  -- Berkley Breathed, 2001