[TriLUG] I just figured out what evolution is missing

Ben Pitzer uncleben at mindspring.com
Sun Jan 6 00:56:08 EST 2002

I installed it just before Christmas, no easy feat on a Debian Woody
box, though, I must say.  It did take quite a bit of upgrading, not to
mention package mixing on my part.  I had to manually add a few packages
from Debian unstable to get it to work.  Those were:

evolution_1.0-2_i386.deb       libcamel0_1.0-2_i386.deb
gnome-pilot_0.1.64-1_i386.deb  libgnome-pilot1_0.1.64-1_i386.deb

I still can't get the Palm sync to work, as the gnome-pilot stuff fails
me each and every time.  I go under Tools -> Pilot Settings, and change
the Sync Type to 'Syncronize' however it never takes.  It is always on
'Use conduit settings', and that's it.  It won't allow me to change it.
No errors, it just never changes.  Is there a flat file where I can
modify this, anyone?  Just curious.

Additionally, I'd been using Pine, and it imported all of my mail just
fine, EXCEPT for my inbox.  I had to copy my inbox to another mailbox
name, and import that, then transfer all of the mail back into the
Evolution inbox.

Except for those things, I have so far enjoyed Evolution.  The
capabilities are promising, and I can't wait to see what future versions
add.  A few of the things that I have liked include the PGP support,
automatic configuration for local mail delivery (I used fetchmail to
retrieve my mail from the servers), and the automatic filter generation
options (Filter on sender, filter on list, etc).  I suggest trying it
out to see if you like it for a little while, especially if you feel
tied to a graphical email client.  I admit to missing Pine a little at
times, but then again some of the features in Evolution make me glad I
switched.

Regards,
Ben Pitzer

Other than that, I've liked Evolution so far.  I'd been using Pine
previously, and it imported all of my