[TriLUG] Computer Tech Wars (was Outline prop Linux for Business)

Christian J Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Mon Jan 14 16:42:58 EST 2002

John Turner proposed:
> Just an idea, but maybe we can get a real life project
> proposal from a local non-profit and the best result
> can be used by them. We would want to make sure that
> the whole thing gets some media coverage also.

I'd propose the Durham Rescue Mission.  They are probably the largest
homeless mission in Durham, and they use computers a lot to train their
guests and prepare them for new jobs.  Well unfortunately they have some
gaps in their infrastructure, and they have been asking me to install
Exchange.  That's why I was asking late 2001 about groupware solutions for
Linux.  I haven't been there in about a month but I'd bet they are still in
need of a groupware solution.

They were also asking me about having some sort of database set up so they
know how many people each branch of the shelter is taking in per day, and
the director can pull live numbers on demand.  As it is now, each
coordinator for the different buildings posts a report the next day of the
previous days numbers, and it seems to be done by sneakernet.

These guys are sitting on a pile of old Pentium class machines.  They have
some network infrastructure but not much (more cable pulling?).  It is a
100% windows shop right now.  They seem VERY greatful for any help I can
give them a couple of times per month.

NOTE:  This is a Christian organization, and I know that puts some people
off.  The people that they are helping however are from all different faith
backgrounds (or none at all).  They are a local charity that only helps
local people.