[TriLUG] New Mandrake 8.1 install. but no X. HUH?

Justin Johnson justin at eCotton.com
Thu Jan 17 22:38:53 EST 2002

 > So, I suggest typing this command:
 >
 > rpm -qi XFree86
 >
 > If it comes back
 >
 > package XFree86 is not installed

Ok, I did this, and XFree86 is not there.

 > then you somehow installed it without X.  If you did, however,

Talented, huh. I was doing a Server install (yea right) :-P

 > you should be able to, as root, type
 >
 > urpmi XFree86

Did this too, and it did it's thing

> and it will prompt you to put the needed CDs in your drive
> and will install X and all its dependencies. :-)

Here's where it gets goofy again. Did the urpmi XFree86 thing, and it
appeared to install the
package. I should say it did install it. Now I get the following error when
I execute startx;

execve failed for /etc/X11/X (errno 2)
giving up.
xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3):Server error.

So that's where it is. If it's too much a pita to chase this I think I'll
just reinstall.

JJ