[TriLUG] New Mandrake 8.1 install. but no X. HUH?

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Thu Jan 17 23:16:53 EST 2002

A Dijous 17 Gener 2002 10:38 pm, vàreu escriure:

> Here's where it gets goofy again. Did the urpmi XFree86 thing, and it
> appeared to install the
> package. I should say it did install it. Now I get the following
> error when I execute startx;
>
> execve failed for /etc/X11/X (errno 2)
> giving up.
> xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): unable to connect to X
> server xinit: No such process (errno 3):Server error.
>
> So that's where it is. If it's too much a pita to chase this I think
> I'll just reinstall.

Well,

You installed but it is not configured.

You better install (or check if you hace them installed)

drakxtools-newt
drakxtools

So you can configure X.

But, maybe, it is a lesser PITA to drop the CD in the tray, reboot,
select "upgrade" option (when the first welcome screen appears, press
F1 so you can know what need to be done inorder to upgrade your
system.) Then, select KDE desktop (or GNOME or both or another one)
installation and all the graphical software that you need.

Because most of the stuff is already installed, it should go fairly
quickly.

If you have questions, please ask.

Salut,
Sinner
--
http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/     Linux User # 89976
Running on Mandrake 8.1 - Kernel  2.4.8-34mdk     Linux Machine # 38068