[TriLUG] 2/11: Slashdot's Robin 'roblimo' Miller at UNC

Paul Jones pjones at metalab.unc.edu
Tue Jan 22 11:40:40 EST 2002

WHO   Robin 'roblimo' Miller
WHEN  Thursday February 11 at 4 pm
WHERE Freedom Forum Conference Room - Carroll Hall 3rd Floor @ UNC
MORE  http://ibiblio.org/pjones/roblimo.html (links to maps, etc)

Robin 'Roblimo' Miller is editor in chief for OSDN, one of the world's
leading online tech news publishers. He has written extensively about
computers and the Internet for Slashdot, Linux.com, NewsForge, Time New
Media, Online Journalism Review, Web Hosting Magazine, The Washington
Post, The Baltimore Sun, and many other Web sites, newspapers, and
magazines.

He is one of the creators of modern interactive journalism, invented a
self-serve online ad sales system that eliminates virtually all sales
costs, and has served as an Internet business consultant to several
Fortune 500 companies ,and many Internet entrepreneurs.

Miller's latest project is the book "Build Profits Online" for Financial
Times Press/Prentice Hall , tentatively scheduled for release in May,
2002.

He was one of the earliest "professional" online writers, starting back in
the early days of services like CompuServe and GEnie, and has also written
well over 1000 articles for assorted (offline) newspapers, magazines, and
industry newsletters.

Before becoming a full-time writer and editor, Miller operated a small
limousine service in the Baltimore/Washington area and wrote freelance
part-time. "I never intended to make writing and editing a full-time
profession," he says. "It was purely accidental. There are many more
talented editors and writers out of work who could easily replace me. I
still keep one limousine in my driveway just in case my bosses ever figure
this out."

Robin was born in 1952. He spent 11 years studying classroom instruction
methods in California and Arizona, then earned an ASEE from the U.S. Army
Intelligence School at Ft. Devens. He is also a "perennial student" at the
university that produced writer Mark Twain, philosopher Eric Hoffer, and
many other notable 19th and 20th century thinkers.

                             Paul Jones
                    "Gort! Klaatu barada nikto!"
http://www.ibiblio.org/pjones/ at the Site Formerly Known As MetaLab.unc.edu
  pjones at ibiblio.org   voice: (919) 962-7600     fax: (919) 962-8071