[TriLUG] ethernet cards

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Tue Jan 22 12:56:48 EST 2002

gregbrown at mindspring.com [gregbrown at mindspring.com] wrote:
> Quesion for 'yall.  I've looked at the supported hardware for my flavor of
> Linux but I'd like to know if anyone has done any real stress testing of
> various ethernet cards and which is the most highly reccomdned for use with a
> Pentium (II) processor (card must support full-duplex 100 meg ethernet).  The
> system itself is running RH 7.1.

As far as I'm concerned, Intel's eepro (Intel Pro/100+ Adapter) cards are
the best.  At higher bandwidth, they use much less CPU than Realtek and
the like.  I've had terrible luck with the 3Coms, even at lower speed,
related to timeouts.  Had to switch drivers to get them to work.  Not work
my effort and time.  eepro is -it- for high bandwidth situation.

Mike
--
"Yeah it is! Cause he's bakin' in the...kitchen of darkness!  A pie of
lost souls...until it's golden brown!" -- Moltar on Space Ghost