[TriLUG] Loki Games closing according to F***ed Company

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Thu Jan 24 08:53:59 EST 2002

El dia Thursday 24 January 2002 08:28 am, no tenies res mes que fer i vas i
m'envies aquest mail:

> This is bad, not just because Loki's shutting down (which is sad, but
> necessary), but more importantly because it will be seen as "proof" that
> Linux and gaming can't work.

Try telling that to Mandrake and its "Linux Gaming Edition". It has very high
marks on reviews. Alas, it uses WineX.

So, if we can run at almost native Windows speed (and no crashes), sure some
gamers will go the Linux way (Linux as a gaming console).

Then, when enough % of users uses Linux, gaming companies will include Linux
runtimes in the WinCD.

> For the foreseeable future, we will have to rely on the Linux-friendly
> coders at game companies. Two very important ones are Carmack (at id
> Software) and Vogel (at Epic). There are other efforts, like the
> contractor doing Serious Sam and possibly some others, but those can't
> be counted on. Those native ports alone may not be enough to help us,
> since as soon as we fall too far behind on hardware support, we're
> doomed completely.

We can always hope to get re-makes of popular games... at affordable places.
And also WineX

Salut,
Sinner
--
"I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father
smelt of elderberries!"