[TriLUG] Routing question

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Feb 15 17:57:13 EST 2002

Assuming you have two firewalls, one for each connection, then you can bring
up a server box with three network connections:
 - Connection Out1 to the interior of firewall 1
 - Connection Out2 to the interior of firewall 2
 - Connection Int to your internal network

We'll call the server box "DMZ".

You'll run a private network between the DMZ server and each of the firewall
boxes, and then you'll run a third private network for your internal network.

Setup the Linux Virtual Server on DMZ.  The twist here, is that you will be
sort of setting it up in reverse.  The virtual server can be set to use Round
Robin in sending out the packets, and you can vary which protocol goes down
which path.  You can tweak it a bit so that a connection to an external
resource continues to go out the same path, but that a new connection to a
different resource goes out the other path.

I use the LVS a lot at HAHT, but only for incoming load-balancing /
High-availability.

Another nice feature of the LVS is that you can weight connections, and
change the weight of the connections on the fly, so if one resource gets
overloaded, you can adjust the weight so that the majority of your new
requests go out the least used path.

That LVS is some hot s**tuff

Jon
===