[TriLUG] Home installation of Linux

Jturena at aol.com Jturena at aol.com
Fri Feb 22 12:15:14 EST 2002

Uhum...
 Would anybody be interested in coming out to my house on Sunday afternoon
and helping me install RedHat 7.0 on my home PC. It is not going well, and I
do not have enough computer knowledge to install a clean installation in a
reasonable amount of time---I just got my computer back, and I was hoping to
get Linux running this first week.
 There is a b-b-q meal in it and some cash if anybody is interested. Wooppee,
I know.
 I live in Willow Spring, and can meet in Garner, or Fuquay, to lead the
person to my house.
My problem is I am having trouble with the installation on my own.
 I am using a 1yr old CD boxed set of 7.0 because I do not have another way
of getting any other version besides purchasing 7.2, or some other brand, and
I do not know enough about whether that would be a good move, since one of
the things I like about Linux is the low $ cost.
 I have already been through some unorthodox installation, and Linux is
running, for the most part-- but I think it is not a good, clean
installation, as 'startx' is not working.
 I would have liked to try 7.2, or even some other distribution, but I don't
have the means to do that right now (at least I do not think I do).

 I had Linux installed previously, by another man, -- before my system
crashed-- but NetScape and I guess the whole GUI opened up with some sort of
video problem.
 I had MySQL running with it. I was using Apache, and MySQL to experiment
with database-driven websites.
 Now, I have to start from scratch again, BUT I WANT TO DO THINGS RIGHT AND
HAVE A CLEAN INSTALLATION AND LEARN SOMETHING NEW.
 This finding out on my own is taking way too long.
 Therefore I am seeking some help---the hands-on kind.
Is there anybody out there who is willing to undertake a new venture like
this? (helping me install Linux).
I'ld be willing to discuss more details about my system first.
Thanks,
Jim