[TriLUG] Users and groups

Justin Johnson justin at eCotton.com
Thu Mar 14 10:47:06 EST 2002

When I create a new user, a new group is also created with the same name by
default. Why is that?

Should I create a 'standard' group that I want unprivileged users to belong
to, so that I can grant / revoke
privileges for the group? And if so, if I deny access to a particular
resource from a group, but then grant access to that
same resource to a user that is also in the 'denied' group, which set of
rights wins? Most restrictive or least?

I guess more to the point. can I create users and assign them to groups, and
then grant privs to the groups? This is how I was trained to do it in a MS
environment, and it does ease administration of users. Any concerns with
taking this approach?

Thanks,
JJ