[TriLUG] co-lo or at home?

Mike Broome mbroome at employees.org
Sat Mar 23 16:26:15 EST 2002

On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 04:08:47PM -0500, Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-03-23 at 14:10, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> > One thing you might look into is how Mike and Lisa have set up
> > 1000plus.com.  I believe they run it off a dynamic IP on a
> > cable modem using similar techniques to what I described above.
>
> Mike? Lisa? Care to elaborate?

Sure.  But rather than me retyping the details, take a look at this
e-mail I posted to the list back in January:

  http://www.trilug.org/pipermail/trilug/Week-of-Mon-20020114/004187.html

It describes our server setup (web and e-mail server running off a
dynamic IP, using dyndns combined with external DNS) as well as our
NAT/firewall setup (which you might or might not be interested in).

One of the key things that makes it all workable is having a friend with
a server outside of our ISP provide mail secondary so that if our
connectivity goes poof for a while, mail get queued and delivered later.
(An important thing to have in general, but even more so when dealing
with a consumer level SLA.)

Let me know if you have any specific questions about our setup.

Mike

--
Mike Broome
mbroome(at)employees.org