[TriLUG] Here's a "duh" from a h/w guy...ACPI vs. APM

Vestal, Roy L. rvestal at rti.org
Mon Mar 25 13:31:30 EST 2002

I haven't been able to keep up with the h/w changes to intel based machines
as I used to. I know that ACPI is new (relatively) to intel's mainboards,
but what is it, and why when I compile support for it, does APM give
problems? I.E. I have a new laptop with ACPI (Toshiba 2800) and with ACPI
support compiled, APM will not power off the laptop, when I compile it
without it, APM works fine.

 Also, there are boot errors with ACPI compiled for mounting "none" to
/proc, but without ACPI, no boot errors.

Can someone explain this?