[TriLUG] Re: Red Hat 7.3 - for Nalin at redhat.com (mild flame)

James Manning trilug at sublogic.com
Tue May 7 12:48:16 EDT 2002

Preface:  I shoulda probably waited til later when I was calmer when
sending this.  But, fsck it, on with the show.  Should be a fun thread.

[Chris Hedemark]
> Preface: Nalin, while your past help given to members of this group is
> appreciated, I'm afraid this post from you has tempted me to open an
> id10t bug report in Bugzilla.  I've also spent the last few days in the
> northeast, which has significantly reduced the likelihood of me
> overlooking your blunder.

OMFG - does your health insurance cover all the splinters you get from
       that soap box?  I just gotta know.

Nalin - fwiw, I'd imagine many (but at least me) feel your pain.
Mine's dropped a lot since leaving IBM and going to a start-up, but I
still get people asking me questions about IBM PC Support because I used
to work there.  I have to explain to them I didn't work in that group
and wouldn't know where to start.  I don't blame them because they're
typically of a group that wouldn't know the difference.  Members of a LUG
mailing list, in your estimation and mine, should know the difference.
I commend you and thank you for your honest and sincere comments and
whole-heartedly agree with you.

People, RH isn't a few guys in Marc's apartment any more.  They're a real
company doing real market research and analysis before picking prices for
products.  It's not picked out of a hat (red or otherwise), and I'm sure
it's not on the already-extensive list of projects for the OS Development
group to tackle.

Think the price is too high?  Fine, don't buy it, download it instead
(lemme know when "free" is an option for the newest Thinkpads).  Think RH
profit margins on box sales would be higher at a different price?
Think first about the team of people that came to the conclusion
that $59.95 as an MSRP (ooohhh look, high enough for people to give
"discounts" and still make some cash) was the right choice.  If your
MBA/marketing/sales skills are (at least in your esimation) far superior
to those people that make up the relevant team at RH, go battle it out
with sales at redhat.com or whoever.  Bitching (even indirectly) on a LUG
list at RH developers isn't going to get you anything but ignored (or
the target of a procmailrc recipe or two)

When I used to chat with Bob Young in the halls here, he knew absolutely
zero about what was going on in the development group and I'm sure the
reverse is also (at least largely) true.

sheesh, no wonder people think what they do about trilug.  Sorry, Kevin.

James, expecting another soap-box reply to this, I'm sure
--
James Manning <jmm at sublogic.com>
GPG Key fingerprint = B913 2FBD 14A9 CE18 B2B7  9C8E A0BF B026 EEBB F6E4