[TriLUG] dd floppy image issue

lfwelty lfwelty at redback.com
Fri May 10 10:54:45 EDT 2002

Craig wrote:

> I am trying to create a RH7.3 boot disk from the images on the cdrom using
> the following syntax:
>
> dd if=boot.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k
>
> When I run this it seems to write to the floppy, but when I try and read the
> floppy,

Basic sanity check - sorry just following the flowchart...;)
- Did you mount the floppy before attempting to read it?

> I see nothing and the floppy does not boot.  The system I am using to
> create the disk is a Dell laptop running Mandrake 8.2.
>
> Any thoughts on why this does not work?

Bad media?
- Did you try another floppy?

Bad fd0?
- Can you try another system's floppy drive?

Bad installee-system fd0?
- Can you read the floppy on a known good system?

I've run into all at various times. :(

F.