OT: flame on (was Re: [TriLUG] Debian Bigots)

Chris Knowles knowlesc at telocity.com
Mon Jul 29 11:22:07 EDT 2002

<Troll Food>

Exchange server can be set up in minutes.  I don't think the word secure
can be applied.

Linux mail servers can be setup in a few minutes, hours-days for really
secure setups.

2 things however, mitigate against fast setup of the trilug server.

1) Hardware failures.
2) It's not a day-job.  (Or a family job)  The people doing this are
volunteers.  They work on it when they can.

I'm certain that if you were to offer to help setup the server the SC
would be happy to let you.  (At least, I know I was always happy to get
somebody outside the SC to do work... :)

</Troll Food>

<FLAME>
OK, so you're setting up your own mail server using RR's access.  Of
course, the fact that this breaks the AUP of RR means no nevermind to
you.  Also, most residential access isn't reliable enough for e-mail...
I know RR wasn't when I was on it (sorry Ben) and Telocity has a
penchant for going out if there is lightening.  But, since it's set up
by some one competent it must be better.

</FLAME>

<APOLOGY>
I'm sorry.  But like Lisa said... It's Monday, I'm feeling unappreciated
from Sysadmin day on friday, and Finding out that Genuity is in
trouble...
</APOLOGY>

CJK

On Mon, 2002-07-29 at 10:47, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> Man I feel all the love.  Now can we all start trying to increase the
> signal on this conversation and turn it back
> towards Linux?  I'd like to have an in depth conversation about mail
> servers (it apparently takes at least 6 months
> to set one up on linux).
>
> I understand Microsoft Exchange can be set up "securely" in a few
> minutes.  How odd it takes 6 months to set up
> whatever-mail-service-we-are-planning-to-use on linux ;-)  Is that why
> people choose exchange on M$ over X on linux?  Because of all that time
> it takes to set it up?
>
> I'd like to understand a little more as to why.  I'm freeing up for time
> shortly and I'm planning to set my own mail server up so that I can have
> email thats at least as reliable as the postal service again (although
> strangely I've started receiving mine today but it might be a fluke).
>
> -Andy

<SNIP>