OT: flame on (was Re: [TriLUG] Debian Bigots)

William W. Ward wwward at pobox.com
Mon Jul 29 21:09:04 EDT 2002

Andy,

My opinion of the installation: Fast as your little CDROM can crank out the
bytes.  A default setup is pretty straightforward and can get you on the air
in no time.  Setting up SMTP is also straightforward, provided you have
someone handling DNS for you or you have a bit of skill with DNS on your
own.  Exchange limits what you can do, and it has a graphic installer.  The
graphic installer makes it simple for any old person to survey all the
options necessary for a basic mail system to function.

This is one of the great strengths of MS in my mind, the placement of all
the foundation options in graphic panels.  It allows you to quickly survey
your playing field and make choices based on context.  Further, most
installation routines designed on the Windows platform allow you to move
forward and backward linearly in the process in case you second-guess
yourself later.
This graphic installer method is something I'd love to see in the Linux
realm, and is mostly technique.  Red Hat's graphic installer shares this
sort of "here are your options in plain sight" design and has made it a
treat to install.

I don't know why it takes 6 months less than to set up a Trilug server.
Chances are thats part "too many cooks in the kitchen" and no one with
sufficient time and motivation overlap to do it.  Since I'm not involved in
it (and thus have NO idea what I'm talking about,) I'll leave it at that.

On the other hand, as I said in my last post, Exchange may install quickly
and run in a basic environment - but it takes far more than this to make
that machine stable over the long term, and secure.  I believe this is true
for any mail server package, perhaps less so than others.  I've personally
never dealt with an "appliance like" mail server, a-la Tivo, where you plug
it in, make a couple of choices and let it run until the drive bearings
seize up with age.

As an aside, I'm so desperate to get away from Microsoft code in my own
personal works, that I'm willing to spend a lot of time learning how to
manage a simple workstation over the long term.  Since I don't have a role
as a sysadmin in a Linux shop, I'll be content to tune and optimize a simple
computer with RedHat 7.2.  That sort of familiarity is what I most want to
get out of my involvement with Trilug, and perhaps I can teach my girlfriend
what I learn.

-b-